By Guest Blogger Toi
As an Alphanista, you are at the top of the food chain.
You know it, and so do other women. You look like you have things together, and sometimes friends and associates envy this and try to adapt your style for themselves. And as last week’s “Clingy” post suggested, women are watching you. Though this is rampant among younger women still searching for themselves, older women experience the same thing, but it is more disguised.
Your role as a leader, mover and shaker makes you susceptible to being copied by others. While this can feel strange, here are a few ways to deal with women who try to become you.
1. Continue to be yourself. You’re the original, an imitation can never beat that. Eventually the copycat will find someone else to emulate.
2. If you don’t like conflict, take the non-confrontational approach. Don’t put her on blast. Although she’s the one copying your style, be the bigger person.
3. Switch the style up. Take the Madonna approach and change things up every once in awhile. If you’re constantly evolving, its too hard for others to keep up with you. Don unique items that are hard to find. Which leads to my next point…
4. DO NOT take the copycat shopping with you. That’s just giving her the bait. Go shopping alone, or with another person who isn’t a copycat. Shop at independent stores and avoid malls and department stores.
5. If you feel the need to acknowledge it, confront her. Say something like, “Wow, I wore that same look last week,” while giving her a direct look. “I must be a positive influence on you.” She’ll be caught off guard that you called her out, and she may back down. If not, at least you let her know that you know what she’s doing. Or as an alternative…
6. Come to the realization that you must be pretty fly if someone wants to be emulate you. In life, in business, it’s natural for others to imitate what appears successful and unique.
You clearly have it going on! We can’t control others, we can only control ourselves. Don’t let a copycat bother you, continue to be your best self. Eventually she’ll find someone else to suck the life out of. While she can copy, she can’t be you.
Guest Blogger Toi Duckworth is a sophisticated b-girl from Los Angeles who dishes on urban lifestyle topics via her blog, http://hiphopmuse.com. For unique ways of living life (on the edge, sometimes) get How To Do Almost Anything Like An Alphanista here. Download instantly!