Almost a month after my birthday, I finally caught up to thinking about its significance.
I can’t say I know everything, I need to know. But I can say I have learned. When I sat down to write this, I felt old. 36 things? That’s alot. Like blowing out 36 candles. Takes time. I didn’t feel old in age because I look 10 years younger. At least! No self deprecation here. It’s so American. If you travel, you know that most non-American women are very proud of their ages. But back to this. I know there are at least 50 more lessons to add to this list, in another 50 years. I suggest you try this with your age and what you have learned. Every one of these is something I learned, am practicing or will get there. Will get there. (by the way, there are some repeats, just keep reading)
1. Sometimes you need a new dream.
2. Your best friends are the ones you met when you were younger, lost and found each other again. School friends knew you before you knew yourself.
3. Good friends are friends you meet as adults, it takes longer to get acquainted, maybe years, but both worlds finally come together to go from associate-ships to friend-ships.
4. Tradition is good. It tells everyone where they need to stand.
5. Mothers are always right. Always.
6. There are days when you should just stay in bed, call in sick, or just drink yourself sleepy.
7. When things get hard and stressful, wait. Wait.
8. I don’t have to like anyone.
9. Let things develop. Stop orchestrating every step.
10. If you don’t have a job, create one.
11. Nobody is going to love you more than you love yourself.
12. A healthy meal even once a week makes you feel prettier.
13. Everybody needs a dream, even if they keep it to themselves.
14. Not every baby is cute.
15. You are living somebody’s dream.
16. Cheaters can reform. Redemption does not discriminate.
17. Food is a great companion when mixed with a little salad now and again. Balance.
18. Feminism is policy. It is not about “being” a woman.
19. It’s okay not to be liked. It really is.
20. Love and hate are indeed the same. I didn’t understand that until a few months ago. Takes as much energy to love someone as to hate them and requires the same kind of focus and attention. But what is real is indifference. You don’t care at all lives or dies.
21. Anybody good would want to be a part of your world. Anybody bad will want to shut it down.
22. Depression can be a cure.
23. Intimacy is valuable to any relationship, without it, there is no connection.
24. Sex is overrated. Yes, it is. Lie to yourself.
25. Intimacy is not sex, it is communicating with no barriers and listening with your heart.
26. You need at least one subversive act in life. Something you will never do again, and never tell anyone.
27. It is who you know.
28. I like people who like money because I like money.
29. Every job I ever had prepared me for this moment, and moments to come.
30. From now on, I will only accept financial gifts. Not cash. Annuities,dividends, CDs, stocks, mutual funds, etc. No matter how small. They tend to grow and last longer than any “present”.
31. If you don’t have a job you can create one.
32. When things get hard and stressful, wait. Wait.
33. Crying is good.
34. Always expect the best. Don’t hope.
35. It’s okay to tell the chef you are dissatisfied. I find they are usually happy to help and will give a couple of lobster tails to make up for it.
36. Walk in the door like you are there to collect the rent. Act as if you belong, then you will.